Preparing Your Skin for Spring Break Sunshine
If you're looking forward to spring break, join the crowd! We love spring break! But if you're headed out into the sunshine, especially if it's a tropical location you're not used to, you'll want to take good care of your skin to ensure you're not paying for that vacation with a sunburn or — worse — long-term skin damage.
Protect your skin by following a few tips:
1. Wear sunscreen. We know you've heard it time and again, but make sure to wear SPF 30 or higher on your entire body. Wait about 20 minutes after applying before you hit the waves or the pool, and reapply it every two hours (a bit less if you've been in the water and sand).
Also, don't forget your face. Find a good oil-free formula you don't mind slathering on your face and ears, and use it just as often as you use sunscreen on the rest of your body.
More on this later, but note that a sunless tan does not protect your skin from the sun. You still need sunscreen.
2. Know your skin type, and plan ahead. If you're fair-skinned or know from experience that you burn easily, you may need to reapply sunscreen more often than two hours. You also may need to wear a wide-brimmed hat and get under some shade regularly. Know your skin type, think about your time outside, and plan accordingly.
3. Invest in a sun-protective shirt. If you're going to be spending a good part of the day outside, it's a good idea to wear a sun-protective shirt when you're out of the water, or even invest in a rash guard you can wear in the water. This is especially true if you have fair skin.
4. Eat and drink right. Make sure to hydrate properly before you head out on the beach. Avoid mixing alcohol and sunshine. Also, consider limiting coffee and other forms of caffeine, as it can be dehydrating.
You might also considering adding Omega-3 and Vitamin D and C supplements to your diet before spring break, as these can boost skin health.
4. Catch a few rays. You might want to catch a few rays — protected with sunscreen, of course — before you head to spring break. You do the most damage by baking in the sun after a prolonged period (i.e., winter) of being away from the sun. If you can get out in the sunshine just a bit before you go on vacation, do so.
If you're looking for that sun kissed look minus the UV exposure, Fake Bake has you covered. You can get a long-lasting, natural glow that works with your skin's pigment using our line of self tan products. You might like our Original Self Tan Lotion, a great self tanner for dark, medium and fair skin tones that's also a great moisturizer. The advantage of using a tanning lotion is that it absorbs deeper into the skin's surface, so it tends to last longer. You can enjoy that glow for weeks after self tanning.
For a professional look that's quick and easy, our liquid formulas are the way to go. Apply these before bedtime, leave them on overnight and wake up looking tan and feeling like you're on vacation — the coconut scent gets us every time!
If you have sensitive skin but still want that glowing skin, try our mousse formulas. These hydrating, lightweight formulas work best with sensitive skin, and they leave you with the end result — a streak-free, even tan without sun exposure.